fbpx

6 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Leave a Glass of Water Near Your Bed

Most of us know that we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. But many people find it hard to stick to the required amount of water, so they use different methods to remind themselves to maintain this healthy habit. And a glass of water on your bedside table is a good reminder to take a sip first thing in the morning. However, keeping water near your bed is not as beneficial as you thought.
On this topic, we want to explain to our readers why it is better to make yourself a fresh glass of water first thing in the morning than to drink from the glass that has been sitting on your bedside table since last night.

Some waste can get into the water.

If you pour water into an open glass and leave it until morning, it can become more susceptible to different types of invaders. There is a possibility that mosquitoes, flies and other insects may land in your glass overnight. Dust and other contaminants can also get into the water while you sleep, and you may not notice it when you drink your water first thing in the morning.

The water may change its taste.


If you fill your glass with tap water, it probably contains chlorine, which is added to disinfect it. But the chlorine starts to evaporate during the night hours and changes the taste of the water. Therefore, you may find the water a little stale if you are used to drinking fresh tap water.

Water becomes a perfect breeding ground for germs.

When taking a sip of water, we transfer millions of bacteria from our mouth to our glass and then to the water. So if we decide to drink the water from that glass at night while we are trying to fall asleep, the germs will get in and multiply in the morning.

This is a potential fire hazard.

Many people have power sockets or keep chargers like phones near their bed. So if you put a glass of water on your bedside table and then accidentally knock it over with your hand, water can leak out, which is a potential hazard to your electronics and can cause a short circuit.

The water will become slightly more acidic.


If water is left in an open glass, it can absorb a small amount of carbon dioxide, which slightly changes its pH value. As a result, the water may become slightly more acidic at a lower pH. It does not affect your health, but it can change the taste of the water, making it less pleasant to drink.